Registration with ARS
- Registration with ARS is welcome at any time, but in order for accommodation determinations to be made for Spring 2018 Finals ARS must receive a submission comprising a Self-ID form and supporting documentation by Monday 16th April 2018. See Student and Applicant Accommodations. The Self-ID form and documentation upload is available at the Register link. Following the submission of a Self-ID and supporting documentation, students will be invited to an intake appointment; the last intake appointments of the Spring Semester will be offered during the week of April 16th through 20th April.
Instructor notifications, midterms, alternative format and supplementary notes
Returning, registered students anticipating needing accommodations of any sort in a class will need to issue Faculty Notifications from https://arsportal.unc.edu as soon as possible after the start of the semester but by Noon on Wednesday January 24th at the latest.
The notification email specifies the accommodations agreed with ARS and identified as 'reasonable'. ARS reminds students that they are required to make contact with their instructors following the issuance of the accommodations notifications to discuss the ways in which the accommodations identified can be most effectively implemented. This also allows instructors to identify any potential difficulties with the accommodations identified in relation to their particular class.
If you do not communicate your approved accommodations, your instructors are not legally obliged to provide them.
- In addition, students with Alternative Text requirements and Supplementary Notetaking Service requests will need to submit these by Noon on Friday January 24th using the appropriate form:
- All exams, including midterms and some finals, occurring between January 10th 2018 and April 27th 2018 must be scheduled in the ARS Portal no later than 11.59pm on April 10th 2018. This may include LFIT Finals (these are typically scheduled for the last day of class) and Chem Lab Finals (these are typically scheduled for the last week of classes).
Request Priority Registration for Fall 2018 UG classes using this Priority Registration form.
- If you have previously applied for and received priority registration you will not automatically be granted PR - you must submit a new request.
- Please submit your request by the deadline - Friday 9th March 2018.
Spring 2018 Midterms
- These must be scheduled with 3 full/complete business days in between the day on which your test is to take place and the day on which you are in the ARS-Portal scheduling - i.e. 4 business days before your test. So a test scheduled on a Thursday would need scheduling on the prior Friday - giving Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday as the 3 full business days. Saturdays and Sundays are treated as a Monday so on a weekend day the first day you can schedule for is Friday... using Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday as the 3 full/complete business days notice required.
Spring 2018 Finals
- The Registrar's Exam Schedule is available here - https://registrar.unc.edu/academic-calendar/final-examination-schedule-s...
- Any student with an exam conflict or 2/3 exams in a 24 hour period prompting a need to reschedule one of these exams should notify their instructor(s) by Friday 23rd March 2017 in order to negotiate an agreeable solution, following which
- ARS registered students will be able to start scheduling Finals with ARS from Noon on Wednesday April 11th to Noon on Wednesday April 18th; Finals begin on Monday April 30th. ARS proctors approximately 1300 examinations during the 6 day final exam period and it is necessary to plan appropriately.
- Please note that Finals are not scheduled at the same time as the semester class times but according to the Finals Schedule issued by The Registrar and available at http://registrar.unc.edu/academic-calendar/final-examination-schedule-fall/
- The regular final length will be considered to be 3 hours unless otherwise specified by the class instructor; students should consult their class syllabi and/or class instructor for information about the length of the class final and to ask if the instructor has any preference / concerns around scheduling.
- ARS will hold 2 start times of 9am and 3pm; students should liaise with their instructors to agree a suitable start time.
- Failure to make the appropriate arrangements and within the deadlines specified may result in a student not being able to utilize accommodations.
- ARS will not make any exemptions or alternative arrangements to these start times. We are communicating this information early in order that students can liaise with instructors to agree appropriate arrangements and so that instructors can make their own arrangements if they so wish.
- Students schedule examinations; ARS will undertake to assist with the identification of scheduling errors but will not assume unilateral responsibility for this or for the correction thereof. Instructors are sent scheduling information with start and finish times and are invited to assist with the identification of errors.
- Instructors are reminded that agreed accommodations are legally mandated.
- ARS will not be able proctor any finals with audio/visual or timed components.
- ARS encourages faculty to make 'local' arrangements for students with accommodations and my staff will be happy to offer assistance and advice concerning any such local provisions you wish to make.
- The most common testing accommodations are +50% extended testing time (making a 50 minute mid-term 75 minutes, a 75 minute mid-term 112 minutes and a 3 hour final 4.5 hours) in a 'low distraction setting'; typically, this is a setting outside the usual classroom or testing center that limits interruptions and distractions.