FAQs General


What does ARS do?

Accessibility Resources and Service (ARS) provides services to students with disabilities to ensure accessibility to university classes and programs. ARS offers information and services related to accommodations and disability, Assistive Technology (AT), CART and interpreter services for academic purposes.

ARS does not offer evaluation testing, tutoring, help with class scheduling (these questions go to Academic Advisors), or student financial services. Tutoring services are offered through the Learning Center Peer Tutoring Program   

What constitutes a disability?

A disability is defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 as Amended (2008) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities. If you currently have a physical or mental condition, a history of such a condition, or a condition that may be considered substantially limiting, you may have a legally defined disability.  

Under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, substantially limiting is defined as being unable to perform a major life activity, or significantly restricted as to the manner, condition, or duration under which a major life activity can be performed, in comparison to the average person. A major life activity is defined as performing manual tasks, caring for oneself, seeing, hearing, walking, breathing, speaking, working, and learning.  

What should I do if I have a disability and want to receive accommodations?

If you have a documented disability (long-term or temporary) that is impacting your academic performance, you will need to connect with ARS and provide documentation of this disability. This documentation must be supplied by a qualified professional who is licensed or certified to diagnose the disability in question.  

Students should fill a Self-ID Form to CONNECT with ARS and provide documentation of their disability or medical condition. For more information on documentation, please visit our Registration and Documentation page.  

What role do my parents/family play in the process?

College students are regarded as adults therefore the students are responsible for their own accommodation requests and other disability-related decisions. However, students are encouraged to have an open dialogue with their parents or family for a source of support.

If a student connects with ARS, will it show up on transcripts and/or diplomas?

No. The fact that a student is registered with our office does not appear on student academic records nor in Connect Carolina. Accommodations are designed to mitigate the functional limitations that a disability may have upon the student’s ability to have the same access as other students. 

Do I have to be a full-time student to receive assistance from ARS?

No. ARS serves any qualified student taking classes at UNC including the Friday Center students. 

Can I request part-time status due to a disability?

Yes. Medical and Psychological Underload are evaluated by the Advising Office (and Campus Health). Please contact your advisor for further instructions and to discuss how many credits you should take that semester. You will need to provide them with current documentation that supports your request.

Does UNC have any accessible mean of transportation between classes?

UNC Transpotation and Parking provides on-demand intra-campus services that operate between pick-up and drop-off locations. Please read more about this support https://move.unc.edu/p2p/ If are a student connected with ARS, send a request via email to ars@unc.edu. If you are not yet connected with ARS, please refer to the FAQ: "What should I do if I have a disability and want to receive accommodations?"

Should I self-identify that I have a disability during the admission process?

Disclosing your disability during the admission process is voluntary and a separate process from requesting accommodations. UNC will not discriminate against you due to your status as an individual with a disability. Additionally, the Admissions Office will not notify ARS that you may need accommodations.    

How can my provider submit documentation?

Documentation can be submitted via email to ars@unc.edu, via fax (919-843-5609), or ARS has a Documentation of Disability Form your provider can use.

How can I waive FERPA rights so that my parents/guardian can receive information from ARS/UNC?

To learn more about granting proxy permission visit https://studentaid.unc.edu/creating-required-pins/  

For further information on FERPA including tax forms go to https://registrar.unc.edu/academic-services/uncferpa