FAQs for Instructors

The ARS Office and ARS Testing Center continue to modify operations to match current circumstances and guidance.


What if a student who is not connected with ARS needs accommodations?

The process to request accommodations is still the same. Students should fill a Self-ID Form to CONNECT with ARS, and provide documentation of their disability or medical condition. For more information on documentation, please visit our Registration and Documentation page.

I am an instructor and I need help making my course accessible. Can ARS help?

ARS will be glad to assist you. We have created a webpage with general accessibility information. For more specific questions about digital accessibility, please contact our colleagues in the Digital Accessibility Office (DAO). The DAO has a growing schedule of trainings.  If you have questions, please email ars@unc.edu or call 919-962-8300 to leave a message.



What do I do about a student with a disability who is misbehaving or disrupting class?

All students are expected to abide by the University Code of Conduct and Honor Code. Poor behavior is not an excused on the basis of disability. Respond to the behavior issue as you would with any other student. 

What accommodations are required if a student discloses a disability after the fact (e.g., after failing an exam or assignment)?

Accommodation are not implemented retroactively. Students should connect with ARS timely and notify their professors of their approved accommodation with time for the them to be implemented. However, we ask professors to use discretion on listening to the students concerns and that each request is evaluated on a case-by-case as you would for any student.

I suspect that a student has a disability. How do I talk to the student about my concern?

You can tell the student that you have noticed they appear to be facing some issues and ask if there is anything that is going on with them that would be helpful for you to know. If they disclose that they have a disability, refer them to our office or connect the student with us and we will reach out to them with further steps. Another great resource is the Learning Center as they can assist any students with learning difficulties independently of them having (or not) a disability.