- Registered students who anticipate needing accommodations of any sort in a class will need to issue Faculty Notifications from https://arsportal.unc.edu as soon as possible after the start of the semester, but by Noon on Friday May 25th at the latest.
- The notification email specifies the accommodations agreed with ARS and identified as 'reasonable'. ARS reminds students that they are required to make contact with their instructors following the issuance of the accommodations notifications to discuss the ways in which the accommodations identified can be most effectively implemented. This also allows instructors to identify any potential difficulties with the accommodations identified in relation to their particular class.
- If you do not communicate your approved accommodations, your instructors are not legally obliged to provide them.
Alt-text and supplementary notes:
In addition, students with Alternative Text requirements and Supplementary Notetaking Service requests will need to submit these by Noon on Friday May 18th using the appropriate form:
- Alternative Format / E-Text Request - if an electronic copy of the publication is available you should obtain this yourself - this form should only be used when no such copy is available.
- Request Supplementary Notes
Maymester and Summer Session I exams:
Exam Scheduling: To schedule an exam, you must have sent instructor notifications and have entered your courses into the testing portal (in addition to the section for instructor notifications). With summer projects and limited staffing, we will not be able to make changes and updates outside of the portal parameters and deadlines, so please keep the following in mind when scheduling:
- You must use the portal and abide by the 4-business day rule. For example, if you login to the portal on a Wednesday, the earliest you can schedule an exam would be Tuesday of the following week. The day you login and weekends do not count.
- You need to keep in mind any extended time you receive. Our office will open for testing Monday through Friday starting at 8 AM, and will stop all testing at 7:30 PM Monday through Thursday, and 4:30 PM on Fridays. For example, if you test for an hour (including your extended time), you will need to start your test no later than 6:30 PM to be done by the 7:30 cut-off. If scheduling that same exam on a Friday, you would need to start at 3:30 PM.
- When entering your exam time in the portal, DO NOT enter your extended time. Enter the regular time limit that the class will test (8:00 – 8:50 AM for example), and the portal will enter your extended time for our check-in/out system.
- If your extended time puts you past our check-out/closing time, or will make you late for your next class, you are required to email your instructor to get permission to test early. The portal sends out notifications each day for the upcoming testing schedule. If your instructor emails us back that they did not approve of the time you entered into the portal, we will not be able to switch your time and you will not be able to test with us that day.
We encourage all students to review their syllabi for all courses at the beginning of each semester and schedule all their exams to prevent scheduling difficulties. If any of this information is unclear, please feel free to reach out to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be happy to have you come in to review the portal process if you need clarification or a refresher. We are here to help facilitate your testing accommodations, and we want to help before there is an issue.
Maymester and Summer Session I Finals:
- All final Maymester exams must be scheduled in the ARS Portal no later than 11.59pm on Monday May 28th 2018. Maymester finals will take place on Friday June 1st.
- All final Summer Session I exams must be scheduled in the ARS Portal no later than 11.59pm on Thursday June 14th. Summer Session I finals will take place on Wednesday June 20th and Thursday June 21st.