Navigating the ARS Portal:
ARS will be hosting informational sessions to assist students issue Professor Notifications and Schedule Tests & Exams:
- Monday 20th August 2018 between 10am and 11.30am in Upendo 1118 in SASB North - led by Simon Bloor
- Tuesday 21st August 2018 between 11am and 12.30am in FPG Union 3206 - led by Viviane Ackall
- Wednesday 22nd August 2018 between 3pm and 4.30pm in Upendo 1118 in SASB North - led by Tiffany Bailey
- Thursday 23rd August 2018 between 4pm and 5.30pm in FPG Union 3206 - led by Scarlett Jordan
- Friday 24th August 2018 between 12.30pm and 2.00pm in Upendo 1118 in SASB North - led by Haydee Marchese
- Registered students who anticipate needing accommodations of any sort in a class will need to issue Faculty Notifications from https://arsportal.unc.edu as soon as possible after the start of the semester, but by Noon on Tuesday 28th August 2018 at the latest.
- The notification email specifies the accommodations agreed with ARS and identified as 'reasonable'. ARS reminds students that they are required to make contact with their instructors following the issuance of the accommodations notifications to discuss the ways in which the accommodations identified can be most effectively implemented. This also allows instructors to identify any potential difficulties with the accommodations identified in relation to their particular class.
- If you do not communicate your approved accommodations, your instructors are not legally obliged to provide them.
Alt-text and supplementary notes:
In addition, students with Alternative Text requirements and Supplementary Notetaking Service requests will need to submit these by Noon on Friday August 24th using the appropriate form:
- Alternative Format / E-Text Request - if an electronic copy of the publication is available you should obtain this yourself - this form should only be used when no such copy is available.
- Request Supplementary Notes
Fall 2018 tests and exams:
Exam Scheduling: To schedule an exam, you must have sent instructor notifications and have entered your courses into the testing portal (in addition to the section for instructor notifications). With summer projects and limited staffing, we will not be able to make changes and updates outside of the portal parameters and deadlines, so please keep the following in mind when scheduling:
- You must use the portal and abide by the 4-business day rule. For example, if you login to the portal on a Wednesday, the earliest you can schedule an exam would be Tuesday of the following week. The day you login and weekends do not count; Saturdays and Sundays are treated as a Monday and so if you login on a Saturday or Sunday the earliest you can schedule an exam would be Friday of the following week.
- You need to keep in mind any extended time you receive. Our office will open for testing Monday through Friday starting at 8:00 AM, and will stop all testing at 8:00 PM Monday through Thursday, and 5:00 PM on Fridays. For example, if you test for an hour (including your extended time), you will need to start your test no later than 7:00 PM to be done by the 8:00 PM cut-off. If scheduling that same exam on a Friday, you would need to start at 4:00 PM.
- When entering your exam time in the portal, DO NOT enter your extended time. Enter the regular time limit that the class will test.
- If your extended time puts you past our check-out/closing time, or will make you late for your next class, you are required to email your instructor to get permission to test early. The portal sends out notifications each day for the upcoming testing schedule. If your instructor emails us back that they did not approve of the time you entered into the portal, we will not be able to switch your time and you will not be able to test with us that day.
- If you were unable to make your request for testing via the portal, you can use the Non-Standard Scheduling Request Form on our website to request an exception. Submission of this form does NOT guarantee your test can be scheduled. ARS will reach out to confirm a scheduled exam ONLY if we are able to schedule it. Each request is considered on a case-by-case basis: seating and staff availability, timeliness of your request, extenuating factors related to disability or illness, and prior request record will all be considered when reviewing this request.
We encourage all students to review their syllabi for all courses at the beginning of each semester and schedule all their exams to prevent scheduling difficulties. If any of this information is unclear, please feel free to reach out to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be happy to have you come in to review the portal process if you need clarification or a refresher. We are here to help facilitate your testing accommodations, and we want to help before there is an issue.
Fall 2018 Finals:
- Scheduling for Fall Finals will start at Noon on Wednesday 21st November and end at Noon on Friday 30th November 2018. The Fall 2018 examination schedule is available here https://registrar.unc.edu/academic-calendar/final-examination-schedule-fall/.
- Fall Finals are scheduled for
- Friday December 7th
- Saturday December 8th
- Monday December 10th
- Tuesday December 11th
- Thursday December 13th
- Friday December 14th